Tuesday, May 21, 2019

O Cadavo Baleira to Lugo
18.9 miles
134 miles completed! (2/3 finished)
5/19/2019

This is our longest trek to the oldest town in Galicia and the sun finally returns. It's still windy and chilly in the higher elevations so we are constantly exchanging clothing layers as we go. At one very open point in the trail, I thought I was going to be whisked right down the hill.


There were more lovely pine forests, lots of stone villages and thankfully, level paths. There were still some challenging descents but this time they were more gradual and less rocky. And of course those few challenging ascents continued just to keep things lively.



Finally caught up with Sergio again. Walked together almost an hour to a really fun bar/cafe set up in a village barn. Great noodle soup shared w/Hetty and Matthew - go easy on the paprika Hetty! Bought Sergio an Estrella Galicia beer. 

 


I finally caught up again with Eric (Holland) who apparently had a bad day the day before. (I said it was probably because he missed me). At least I got a laugh out of him. 


The entrance to our very cool bar/cafe.

 
Inside the bar.



At about 1.5 Kilometers away from Lugo I looked up from my rocky descent and discovered the sky had opened up to the biggest city we had seen since we'd left Oviedo a week ago. The Roman viaduct was the first thing that caught my eye. I was exhausted but glad I booked an extra day in Lugo for exploring this Celtic city and the incredible wall that surrounded its historic center.




I joined Hetty & Matthew for a coffee and quick conversation before they headed off to their romantic dinner and I crashed for the evening. So sad to say goodbye to the last of this terrific group. Now I will continue to Santiago without the Brits but still hope to reconnect with Micheline, Andreas and John Pierre at some point.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing trip! You're doing a spectacular job.
    -Vicki Deters

    ReplyDelete

Secretos Galicia - Tapas Tour 5/27/2019 Started off my morning breakfast with a great surprise - my Canadian Compostela couples, Alf and ...